May 31, 2023

Financial Aid opportunities for PT students

We know that finances are a concern for many APUS members and that navigating different bursary and financial aid applications can be a challenge for our members. That’s why APUS, as the association made up of all the part-time undergraduate students, has pulled together key information here about all the major financial aid opportunities, so that you can feel confident when looking into how to finance your studies.

The major opportunities outlined here are:

  1. Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
  2. The Noah Meltz Bursary Program
  3. Bursaries for Students with Disabilities
  4. Tuition fee deferrals

APUS also grants a very small number of needs-based bursaries each term, but these are extremely limited and are only granted to those in the most serious need of financial aid. We recommend you look into all other possible sources of financial aid first, but you can find information and deadlines for our bursary program here.

OSAP for Part-Time Students

OSAP is the Ontario Student Assistance Program and is the umbrella term for Canada and Ontario needs-based student aid (i.e. loans and grants). OSAP funding is based on need, using each student’s income (and parents’ income if applicable) to determine what they are entitled to. You must be an Ontario resident and either a Canadian citizen, Permanent Residents or Protected Person to be eligible for OSAP.

You are considered a part-time student for OSAP purposes if you are taking between 20% to 59% of a full course load. Funding is calculated based on tuition fees, compulsory fees, book costs and child care cost. Your outstanding Part-Time Canada Student Loan balance can’t exceed $10,000 at any time.

Go to the OSAP website here to complete your on-line OSAP application. You can find information about all the steps you need to take to apply here.

The recommended deadline for application for new students is mid-June or as early as possible. Appeals of OSAP assessments are administered by Financial Aid and Awards at U of T.

For further questions about OSAP, you can contact If you are a part-time domestic student from outside Ontario, you can get information about alternative funding options by emailing

Noah Meltz Bursary Program

The Noah Meltz program helps part-time undergraduate students (including those in the Academic Bridging Program) pursue their studies at U of T. ​

The grant covers tuition cost of up to two credits during fall/winter session and up to
one credit during the summer session. The grant also covers books, transportation to and
from class and childcare, if applicable. ​

Students complete either a full-year or term-based application. ​​Processing time is four to six weeks from when the application is submitted. You can apply online here.

The upcoming deadline for Summer applications (May to June, June to August or May to August) is July 31st, 2023. For further questions, email

Bursaries for Students with Disabilities

The Ontario Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) and the Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Disabilities (CSG-DSE) can help eligible part-time students with the costs of eligible disability-related educational services and equipment, such as note-takers, tutors, or assistive technology.

You may be eligible for the BSWD if: 

You may be eligible for the CSG-DSE if:  

To apply for BSWD and/or CSG-DSE, follow these instructions:

  1. Apply to OSAP and self-identify that you have a permanent, or persistent or prolonged disability. 
  2. Meet with Accessibility Services on your campus. You must provide documentation to your Accessibility Services advisor that verifies your disability. 
  3. Once you have your OSAP results, apply for the BSWD/CSG-DSE, with the assistance of a U of T Accessibility Services advisor. 
  4. Once you have completed your application, Enrolment Services will process your BSWD/CSG-DSE application and send you an email to log in to your online BSWD/CSG-DSE application. Students login to their online account to review their:
    • Application status 
    • Approved amounts 
    • Service Estimate forms 
    • Communications with Enrolment Services 

Keep in mind that:

  • Your ACORN mailing address must be up to date, and your U of T email address must be active. 
  • You must setup direct deposit on your ACORN account to receive your BSWD/CSG-DSE funds as a direct deposit in your bank account. You can track your payment by checking your fees account and look for ‘BSWD’ as the payment type. 
  • You must provide receipts to Enrolment Services to show you spent your funding towards recommended services and support. 

The deadline to apply is 60 days before the end of your OSAP-defined study period. You can determine the dates of your OSAP-defined study period by checking your OSAP account on the OSAP website.

Find out more about the BSWD and CSG-DSE and eligibility here

If a student has received the maximum funding through BSWD and CSG-DSE, then the Alternate Grant may provide additional support upon the recommendation of Accessibility Services. For more information about the Alternate Grant and to apply, contact your Accessibility Services advisor.

Students receiving financial aid from another province or territory should contact their province or territory to learn more about the disability-related programs that may be available. 

Tuition fee deferrals

Students who are expecting OSAP, Out of Province loans, or Band funding can register without payment by requesting a tuition deferral. The fee deferral delays the required payment until after classes start and students receive their funding.

The deadline to request a tuition deferral typically falls in late August but differs be college and faculty. Students are required to contact their faculty or college for more information. You will be able to complete the deferral through your ACORN Financial Account.

First Nations students receiving band funding should present proof of their funding package to your registrar to arrange a deferral.